If you are still working and with an employer of 20+employees, you may decide to activate only your Part A benefit under Medicare, delaying your Part B without incurring any penalty.
Things to consider when making this decision: (1) how does my current employer coverage compare to what I could obtain under Medicare? (2) since Part B has a premium and it’s based on an individual/couple’s filed tax return, what would my premium be for Part B? (3) if my spouse is covered under my employer plan, when will she/he reach age 65? If they have to go onto Cobra, what will the cost be and/or would they be insurable under an individual policy – if so what would the premium and out of pocket costs look like?