If you are already on a Medicare supplement with a stand-alone drug plan /or/ a Medicare Advantage plan, and want to make a change, Medicare does not allow for changes during the year unless it fits one of the special elections define by Medicare. Here are some examples:
1) During Medicare’s Annual Election period (October 15-December 7), you can select a different stand-alone drug plan coverage or Medicare Advantage plan coverage that will be effective January 1st.
2) If you wish to change your stand-alone drug plan or Medicare Advantage plan outside of Annual Election, you are allowed one change during the calendar year to a 5 star plan prescription drug plan or a 5 star Medicare Advantage plan if there is one available in your area.
3) If you are newly eligible to Medi-Cal, you would be eligible to make a change in your Medicare insurance coverage.
4) If there are special needs Medicare Advantage/HMO plans in your area (i.e., heart or diabetes), you may have a special election to change your Medicare insurance coverage during the year.
5) If you have relocated to a different state or a different county within your state, you may have a special election to change your Medicare insurance coverage.